Lenten Daily Meditation
Thursday, March 10, 2011
 
Friday After Ash Wednesday

March 11, 2011



For the readings of the day, click here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/031111.shtml



Boy, based on the readings so far this Lent, you would get the impression that God really, really doesn't like self-righteousness! Here, God says that he doesn't want people fasting and making a show of it, he wants them "fasting" by taking action: sharing their bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and homeless, clothing the naked.



I find myself with a weird, mixed reaction to calls like this. On the one hand, I really try to make the right choices and live my life every day in a way that is pleasing to God. I like to think that I inherently have a bias toward action. But on the other hand, I've never been one for the big, dramatic actions. More of a play it safe, don't burn my bridges kind of gal.

I heard a piece on NPR the other day about a retired guy in San Diego who is known among the homeless as "Waterman Dave" because he has dedicated his later life to going out every day passing out water bottles to the homeless, and intervening where he can to help them in other ways. I was moved by the story and it seems clear to me that Waterman Dave is following the dictum of this reading, but I gotta tell you, I don't see myself doing something similar. I admire it, but I have never felt called to that kind of service. That get out there every day, make it the focal point of my life kind of service. It seems like that requires a special calling that I just don't have.


But then this reading makes me ask, "Is that a legitimate statement, or is it a copout?" Are we really ALL called to be Waterman Dave? Or is it OK if I take smaller, more mundane actions? Sometime in the past year -- I don't remember what was going on in the economy, but there was some external trigger -- our food pantry at church started getting bare. We don't have a food pantry in the traditional sense, but we keep a small supply of food on hand to help those who turn up at the door looking for something to carry them over. Our pastor put out a plea, and as usual, our parish responded promptly and generously. The next week, or maybe two weeks later, he announced from the pulpit that the shelves were now well stocked again. But then he said something else: "You know, if every family just bought one extra item each week at the grocery and brought it in each week, we would never run low of food." I liked that, because it was a specific, manageable step. I have been trying to do it ever since. I don't succeed at remembering every week, but I do a lot of weeks. Somehow, that feels more like a scale I can manage.

When I read these lessons, though, it doesn't feel like nearly enough. Sigh. I guess that's why we have Lent, isn't it -- to get challenged out of our ordinary rhythms and excuses. In my heart, I know this isn't an either/or proposition but more of a yes/and. Yes, what I am doing is right and proper AND God wants me to do more. And then, God will want me to do still more. Not because He is a demanding or unappreciative God, but because whatever we do, whatever we give, it is never as much as we owe Him. Salvation is easy; living a Christian life, not so much.

Father, I thank you for the challenge. Thank you for giving each of us more than we can ever repay, and for giving us the season of Lent to think about that debt, and what we can do. Help me to resist complacency and to take the actions you ask of me. Help me to be mindful of those in need and to give beyond my comfort level. Pour out your Spirit on me and upon all those who are walking this Lenten journey; give us challenges that we can rise to, secure in your loving acceptance. Amen
 
0 comments



<< Home
One lay woman's daily meditations for Lent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, OH

Susan Emerson worked for 25+ years in marketing before becoming a Development Director for the Boy Scouts and a freelance writer. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, Bob Beasley. They have a 24-year old son, Sam, and a 25-year old near-son, Warren.

ARCHIVES
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011 / 04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011 /


Powered by Blogger