Lenten Daily Meditation
Thursday, March 17, 2011
 
Friday of the First Week of Lent
March 18, 2011

To see the readings, click here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/031811.shtml.

I can hardly believe we are back at Friday again.  Wasn't the opening fish fry of the season just yesterday? I want nothing more right now than for time to just s-l-o-w down. I know that's what Lent is supposed to be for, but the parts of my life over which I am not in control are not really cooperating with that concept at all!

In today's reading from Matthew Jesus says the famous line about how if you realize on your way to the altar that your brother has anything against you, go first and be reconciled with your brother and then come back and offer your gift.  And in the reading from Ezekiel, it says that God rejoices when a wicked man repents.  So I guess these readings were chosen to get us to focus on forgiveness.

Forgiveness is one of the core mysteries of the Christian faith. Somehow, even though no human is capable of living up to all the things we are supposed to do, God forgives us. As many times as we sincerely ask for forgiveness, God will grant it.  Those of us who grew up in the faith have heard this so many times that sometimes I guess we fail to appreciate what an awesome mystery it really is.  We are all completely unworthy, and yet God delights in forgiving us.  Wow!

Yet I have to say that sometimes, for some lucky ones, I think we can get beautiful glimpses of this mystery in our own families.  I know that not every family is this way, but I do know of many families where one or another person will mess up and everyone else might cluck and worry and fuss about it, but they always forgive and welcome them back.  Even for the repeat offender -- the one in seemingly every family who seems to make the same mistake again and again. I am reminded of my friend Shannon, who once described her family thus:  "We're just a big ole' Irish family.  We fight, then we cry and hug each other, and then we go bail my brother out of jail."  A lighthearted way of saying the same thing -- they practice forgiveness.

I guess I will have to practice some forgiveness in those areas of my life that are racing so out of control right now, too.  And with myself.  As a wise old aunt of Bob's purportedly told him when he was growing up, "The best you can do is the best you can do."  I think that's just a paraphrase of "forgive yourself."

Lord, I thank you for giving me this chance to slow down for at least a few minutes each day and to immerse myself in your word.  Thank you so much for knowing how much I would need this discipline this year and calling me back to it.  Thank you for the forgiveness you give so freely.  Help me to always treasure it and to always be willing to give it.  Please help me to continue to find worthwhile things to write here, and please pour out your spirit on those who walk this Lenten journey with me.  Help us all to fully experience and appreciate the blessings of Lent.  Amen
 
0 comments



<< Home
One lay woman's daily meditations for Lent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, OH

Susan Emerson worked for 25+ years in marketing before becoming a Development Director for the Boy Scouts and a freelance writer. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, Bob Beasley. They have a 24-year old son, Sam, and a 25-year old near-son, Warren.

ARCHIVES
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011 / 04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011 /


Powered by Blogger