Lenten Daily Meditation
Monday, March 14, 2011
 
Monday of the First Week of Lent
March 14, 2011

To see the readings, click here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/031411.shtml

Today's readings really hone in on how we are to live our lives.  In the Leviticus reading, we get the familiar commandments.  But in this translation, I think we get a real insight into how specifically they speak to the living of our lives.  For example, “You shall not defraud or rob your neighbor. You shall not withhold overnight the wages of your day laborer. You shall not curse the deaf, or put a stumbling block in front of the blind..." I think that gives a lot of insight into how the commandments are to be applied.

The parable in the reading from Matthew is, as parables are, less of a directive statement, but at the same time it is quite clear what Jesus is telling us:  Feed the hungry; welcome the stranger; care for the ill and imprisoned. That is how you show your love for Him.

I am reminded of another recent conversation with my 17-year-old son.  (Teenagers are a wonderful source of inspiration, I'm finding.  Too bad our priests don't get to be parents -- think of the insights they'd gain into human behavior!)  Anyway, my son was quoting the words of a comedian, but said he found he agreed.  The comedian said he took the position that he wasn't altogether sure he believed in an after life, but given that uncertainty, why take chances?  Some may have chosen to defend our Catholic belief in the afterlife, but I generally find head on confrontations with teenagers futile at best.  Besides, I didn't find his stance particularly negative.

Instead of disagreeing, I told him I could see his point.  But I added that besides that, my observation has been that if you accept and live by the values and behavioral guidelinesChristianity (which are pretty similar to those of all the other major world religions) you will experience a much higher quality of life here on earth.  My experience has been that practicing Christian love and forgiveness, providing help to those in need, treating others fairly and with honesty...those things all bring their own reward.  Life feels better when I am doing those things than when I am not. 

I didn't mention to him, but will add here, that of course we imperfect humans can't seem to succeed at living in that state of grace for very long.  In spite of how good it feels to do the right thing, we are constantly tempted by the short-term satifactions of doing the wrong thing.  It is amazing how easy it is to convince myself that if I don't go help, someone else will; or that it won't hurt to repeat this one tiny (but boy is it juicy) piece of gossip about someone. Doing the right thing feels wonderful, but choosing to do the right thing is often agonizing.  It doesn't make sense, but it is most certainly true. Which, I suppose, is why we have to keep immersing ourselves in the teachings of the faith, and living in community with others, so we can all help remind each other how good it can feel to live out God's plan for us.

Holy Father, I thank you for showing us the path to life, both a happy and fulfilled life here and to life everlasting.  Thank you for giving me family and church family to help illuminate the path for me.  Please walk with us and help us to stay focused on Your will and Your ways.  Please bless all those who are sharing this Lenten journey and trying to walk a closer walk with You.  Amen
 
0 comments



<< Home
One lay woman's daily meditations for Lent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, OH

Susan Emerson worked for 25+ years in marketing before becoming a Development Director for the Boy Scouts and a freelance writer. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, Bob Beasley. They have a 24-year old son, Sam, and a 25-year old near-son, Warren.

ARCHIVES
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011 / 04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011 /


Powered by Blogger