Lenten Daily Meditation
Sunday, March 20, 2011
 
Monday, Second Week of Lent
March 21, 2011

To see the readings, click here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/032111.shtml

What a beautiful gospel reading! Basically, it says again, in more detailed words, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  As many times as that message appears in the Bible, it seems like God is rather serious about it!

I have to laugh when I think how many people there are who are defiantly NOT Christian, who would never consider trying to measure their life by the teachings of the Bible, but believe strongly in the concept of karma.  Which is, of course, just another culture's way of saying "do unto others as you would have others do unto you," or even more colloquially, "what goes around comes around."

I know in some moments it can be hard to live by these concepts, but really, overall, I think they make life more livable. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't find this precept quite as challenging as I find some of the others.  I actually think it helps me in life to have this simple rule against which to measure my choices.  In an awkward situation?  Not sure what to say?  What would I want the other person to say to me in this situation?  That's what I should say.  Feel like someone else did something mean or thoughtless and unsure how to react?  How would I want someone to react if I mistakenly offended?  How would GOD react?  Guess I'd better forgive and assume no evil intent. 

As I said, for me this passage isn't so much challenging as it is reassuring and inspiring.  Not that it's always easy, but at least I understand what is being asked and feel like I can achieve it much of the time.  And having it as a guide makes my decisions easier.

On a somewhat different note, my friend whose daughter, Delaney, is fighting terminal cancer is nearing the end of her fight.  Her mother writes that she hasn't eated since Thursday, is taking in very little fluids, hasn't been meaningfully awake in over a day.  They have stopped all meds but morphine, and she is resting quietly.  I ask your prayers for her and perhaps even more, for her family.  Delaney's battle has been the centerpiece of their life for too long; it will be not only a tragic loss, but a huge hole in their lives when Delaney's battle ends. May God help Delaney go in peace and may God bless the family with both comfort and the strength to live on.

Another friend who I know to be a prayerful person posted something on Facebook a few days ago about how sometimes the many prayer requests become a lot to handle, while at the same time making her realize how paltry her little problems are in the grand scheme.  I have experienced that feeling before myself.  Right now, in addition to Delaney, I have at least four close personal friends battling serious cancers, plus an extended family member awaiting a lung transplant, a close friend just feeling her way through sobriety with AA, and another former colleague who has asked for prayers for private issues she is dealing with right now in her path of personal growth.  Oh, and two beloved priests who formerly served our parish are ill -- one recovering from a major stroke and probably looking at a lengthy rehabilitation, the other just out of the hospital for a major illness of still undetermined origin.  Then when you add on the ailing parents and more distant relatives of loved ones for whom I 've been asked to pray, and the needs of my parish community and especially the music ministry that means so much to me, and..... well, the point is, I don't think I have ever experienced such a concentrated onslaught of prayer needs.  If you are out there walking this journey with me, please add all these concerns to your prayers as well.  I do believe in the power of prayer and I don't feel strong enough to lift all these needs alone.  And if you have needs you'd like to put out there for others to support, please just add them in the comments.  Maybe that's part of what God has in mind for this little blog -- to be a place where we can join our prayers in support of each other and those in need.

Father in Heaven, I thank you so much for loving us and granting us forgiveness.  Please strengthen me and all my loved ones in our resolve to always live out your Golden Rule.  Help us to let go of that which is hurtful and always focus on how we should treat each other, as we would want to be treated.  Lord, I especially lift up Delaney and all those who have asked for my prayers.  Please pour out your spirit on those in need and help them to know that they are supported in prayer.  Please bless those who share in this meditation and help us all to support each other in prayer that we might lighten each other's loads and strengthen our Christian bonds.  Amen.
 
0 comments



<< Home
One lay woman's daily meditations for Lent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, OH

Susan Emerson worked for 25+ years in marketing before becoming a Development Director for the Boy Scouts and a freelance writer. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, Bob Beasley. They have a 24-year old son, Sam, and a 25-year old near-son, Warren.

ARCHIVES
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011 / 04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011 /


Powered by Blogger