Lenten Daily Meditation
Saturday, March 19, 2011
 
Second Sunday of Lent
March 20, 2011
To see the readings, click here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/032011.shtml

It is the reading from the Second Letter of Paul to Timothy that most spoke to me. It is short, but it says a couple of really interesting things.  First, it says that we are to bear our share of hardship for the gospel, with strength that comes from the Lord. I guess what strikes me about that is that we are all going to bear hardship, no matter what.  So the key here is the idea of bearing it "for the gospel." I think that makes all the difference -- the same hardship seems more bearable, somehow, when it is borne for that higher purpose.

But like I said, there's a lot of meaning in this short reading -- even in this little part of it.  Because in addition to bearing our hardship "for the gospel," we are told to bear it "with strength that comes from the Lord."  So there is also the message here that God will give us the strength we need to bear these hardships.  You hear people say things like that often, but I find it reassuring to find it actually in the Bible.

The second part of the reading that I found meaningful is a little hard to read, because, well, Paul rarely writes in simple, direct sentences.  But if you winnow out some of the dependent clauses and all, Paul says "He saved us and called us to a holy life.... according to his own design and the grace bestowed on us in Christ Jesus."  I somehow find that immensely comforting, too.  That I have been called to a holy life through grace.  I have been called to live a holy life -- a life in communion with the Almighty, and God has given me the ultimate gift -- grace -- to empower me to live that life.  What a gift -- I am called to the ultimate fulfillment, and I am given the means to achieve it as a free gift. If that's not the core of the gospel, I don't know what is.

I know my life isn't holy in the sense that it is perfect.  I make mistakes every day, I treat people badly or at least cavalierly, I mess up in a million ways.  But I do feel it is holy in the sense of belonging to God, of being dedicated to Him.  I know that for all those mistakes and failings, my intentions are right.  I try.  And it gives me great comfort to think that God has given me the grace and strength to stay on the path.

Dear Lord, thank you for the grace and strength you give me and all of us.  Thank you for helping us to bear the hardships of life by living it to your glory.  Please continue to walk with me and all of us who are sharing this Lenten journey and help us to stay focused on living  a holy life ot your glory.  Inspire us to new insights and help us to reach Easter with a new appreciation of the gift you have given. Amen.
 
0 comments



<< Home
One lay woman's daily meditations for Lent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, OH

Susan Emerson worked for 25+ years in marketing before becoming a Development Director for the Boy Scouts and a freelance writer. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, Bob Beasley. They have a 24-year old son, Sam, and a 25-year old near-son, Warren.

ARCHIVES
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011 / 04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011 /


Powered by Blogger