Lenten Daily Meditation
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
 
Thursday, the Second Week of Lent

March 24, 2011

To see the readings, click here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/032411.shtml

This reading about Lazarus has always intrigued me.  I mean, I know it's just a parable, not an account of something that truly happened, but still I find it mind boggling.  First of all, the Pharisee has died and been carried off to the netherworld for eternal torment, and even then he doesn't get it.  He has the audacity to ask to have Lazarus sent down to wait on him!  Sounds like he needed to hear yesterday;s reading from Matthew, about those in power being servants. 

But his audacity didn't stop there.  Even after being told, in so many words, you are being punished and he is being rewarded, get over it, he actually asked to have Lazarus sent back to deliver the message to  his brothers who were still alive, so they'd have time to repent before they died. Abraham points out to him that they already have the messages of Moses and the prophets, but he replies that they'd believe Lazarus.  Father Abraham ends the discussion by telling him that if his brothers don't believe Moses and the prophets, then they probably aren't going to be persuaded by someone who rises from the dead, either.  Which, of course, becomes the ultimate irony, since the teller of the parable will, in fact, rise from the dead soon.

As much fun as it is to rail about the ignorant pride of the Pharisee, I have to admit that I am also gripped with just a bit of fear that perhaps I'm the Pharisee in the story rather than Lazarus.  I hope not.  I try to be more a servant than a Pharisee.

Right now there are just so many people in my life who are sick. I feel so powerless as I get these frequent messages about the slow but steady progress of various cancers.  I pray and pray, but it doesn't feel like I am doing enough.  I literally find myself waking up in the middle of the night and lifting up my list of sick people on my prayer list.  But I still feel like I should be physically doing more. 

Oh Lord, I thank you for the lessons of Lent.  Thank you for calling us to be servants and showing us how absurd we look when we instead act like we are somehow entitled.  Please pour out your spirit on all my sick loved ones and give them strength.  I especially pray for peace for Delaney, and solace for her family.  For those of us in good health, please guide us on our Lenten journey and help us to find the path you would have us follow. Amen
 
0 comments



<< Home
One lay woman's daily meditations for Lent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, OH

Susan Emerson worked for 25+ years in marketing before becoming a Development Director for the Boy Scouts and a freelance writer. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, Bob Beasley. They have a 24-year old son, Sam, and a 25-year old near-son, Warren.

ARCHIVES
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011 / 04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011 /


Powered by Blogger