Lenten Daily Meditation
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
 
Wednesday of the First Week of Lent
March 16, 2011

To see the readings, click here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/031611.shtml

As I read the lesson about Jonah convincing the Ninevites to repent of their sin, I am just awed.  For that matter, I tend to have that same reaction when I read about any of the Old Testament prophets.  They were absolutely fearless -- and because they were God worked wonders through them.  I can't begin to imagine having the courage and the conviction to enter a huge city and begin calling out that in forty days' time, it would be destroyed.  Those called to prophecy were about as unlike me as could possibly be.  They completely let go of what others thought, they were unswayed by disapproval and open animosity, and they never showed self doubt. They called it the way God told it to them, and let the chips fall where they may.  I don't know if I have ever acted in that way in my entire life.

I feel compelled to give the King of Ninevah his due, too. His behavior certainly seems different from the rulers of our time.  Imagine a national leader calling for a national repentance. I'm not sure I actually CAN imagine it.  It was also bold and courageous, and showed that he was a true leader.

On a different note, I write this after attending the closing Mass of our parish's Lenten mission.  The guest preacher was very, very good, so I think pretty much everyone in attendance enjoyed it.  I found myself aware of enjoying it in a special way, though.  I sing in the choir and I love doing so.  And I'm a lector, and occasionally cantor.  But because of those ministries, I don't very often get to just sit in a pew and fully participate in the same way as everyone else in the pews.  My husband and son participate in even more ministries, so often even if I'm in a pew, I'm partially thinking about what they are doing. Tonight I was really delighting in just sitting there, saying the prayers, singing the hymns and responses, and being in the moment. 

That's what you sometimes miss when doing ministries, especially music ministry.  Since you are responsible for helping make everything the best it can be for everyone, you are usually at least partially looking ahead.  You might be listening to that prayer and also making sure you know what song is next.  You receive communion and in that moment you are fully involved with the real presence of Christ, but just a moment later you have to shift your attention to something musical.  I believe -- I know -- the presence is still there, nurturing me, guiding me, helping me, even as I move on into the next musical or liturgical consideration.  But sometimes it is nice to have the chance to just savor that special moment with Jesus a little longer.  

Oh Giver of All Good Things, thank you for the opportunity to worship you and thank you for making me slow down, be still, and know that you are God.  Thank you for helping me to know that you are with me. Please give me some measure of the courage of the prophets, at least when it matters.  I lift up those who are traveling the Lenten journey with me: please strengthen them and help them to have some still quiet moments with you as well.  Walk with us all and help us to find the path you would have us follow that will lead us to you and to a blessed Easter.  Amen
 
2 comments



<< Home
One lay woman's daily meditations for Lent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, OH

Susan Emerson worked for 25+ years in marketing before becoming a Development Director for the Boy Scouts and a freelance writer. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, Bob Beasley. They have a 24-year old son, Sam, and a 25-year old near-son, Warren.

ARCHIVES
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011 / 04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011 /


Powered by Blogger