Lenten Daily Meditation
Saturday, April 09, 2011
 
The Fifth Sunday of Lent

April 10, 2011

To see the readings, click here: http://www.usccb.org/nab/041011.shtml

Sundays, of course, are not actually part of Lent.  I say that to make it seem less wrong that yesterday, I said that the readings are getting darker and more challenging, and today, they are all about rising from the dead.

The gospel is the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.  In it, we hear Jesus say, "I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die."  I think a lot of people view that as the core message of the gospel.  In general, I've always been partial to the effect believing has on living life in this world, so I might not think it is the MOST important thing, but clearly it is an essential message.

With the recent death of my little friend Delaney, though, I will admit that the notion that she has gone on to eternal life feels pretty important.  She had a long, slow decline after a far too short life.  I really want to believe that she is with Jesus today in some sort of paradise.  (I only phrase it that way because I know there are various theories about how life after death works. Normally, I've never felt a great need to know the specifics -- I've always felt that knowing there IS life after death is enough..)

In the reading from Paul's Letter to the Romans, he also talks about how you are not in the flesh if only the Spirit of God lives in you. I had the good fortune to sing at the confirmation Mass at our parish on Saturday.  It was a very beautiful service, and the Bishop preached a moving homily.  I belong to a really big parish, so there were a bunch of kids confirmed -- something like 85 at the Mass I sung at, and as many in an afternoon Mass.  If you believe that the Spirit of God descends on those kids with that sacrament, that's pretty amazing.  Think of how much Spirit of God was in that room!!  I hope and pray that they all allow the Spirit to live on in them. 

God the Father, I thank you so much for bestowing your Spirit upon us, and for sending your son Jesus to be the resurrection and the life. Thank you for giving us the blessed certainty that when a loved one dies in you, that they are with you.  Thank you for the certainty that when our time comes, we need not fear death.  Please help us to live our lives every day in ways that give you glory and reflect that gift.  Amen
 
0 comments



<< Home
One lay woman's daily meditations for Lent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, OH

Susan Emerson worked for 25+ years in marketing before becoming a Development Director for the Boy Scouts and a freelance writer. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, Bob Beasley. They have a 24-year old son, Sam, and a 25-year old near-son, Warren.

ARCHIVES
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 / 03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011 / 04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011 /


Powered by Blogger